There is nothing in this world quite like the sweet smell of a freshly cut gardenia flower. If you have tried to coax a gardenia into blooming, you know just how difficult it can be. There are some simple tricks you can use to increase the chances of your gardenia blossoming forth with fragrant blooms. There are four things a gardenia plant needs: sunlight, the proper temperature, the right amount of humidity and just the right type and amount of fertilizer. Get these four ingredients right, and it's like hitting the gardenia lottery.
Make sure your gardenia gets plenty of sun. If it is growing outdoors, plant it where it will receive sunlight for all but the very hottest time of the day. If necessary, erect a small sunscreen that will block most of the direct sun during the hottest sun. If your gardenia is growing indoors, place it where it will receive plenty of indirect sunlight, but do not leave it in direct sun.
Mist your gardenia frequently, whether it is growing indoors or outdoors. Keep your plant watered regularly, with the soil moist but not too wet. Gardenias thrive on warm, humid conditions.
Keep your plant warm. Gardenias bloom most frequently when the daytime temperature is around 65 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. At night, gardenias do not like it to be too cold; keep the temperature right around 55 to 65 degrees F.
Fertilize your gardenia frequently. Give your gardenia a simple water-based fertilizer for flowers about once a week, following the fertilizer manufacturer's directions. Once a month, give your gardenia an acid-based fertilizer, again following the manufacturer's directions.
Things You Will Need
- Misting bottle
- Water-based fertilizer
- Acid-based fertilizer
- Drape a sheet of plastic over your gardenia plants to protect them from any potential frost.
- Placing a plastic sheet over your plants also can create a mini greenhouse and provide them with the heat and the humidity they need.
- Are Gardenias Toxic?
- Do Gardenias Lose Leaves in the Fall?
- Colors for Gardenias
- Care for Outdoor Gardenias
- Grow Gardenia Plants
- Care for a Gardenia Potted Plant
- Information on Gardenia Bushes
- When Are Gardenias in Season?
- Grow a Gardenia in Florida
- Care for a Gardenia Plant
- Fertilize Gardenia Bushes
- Prune Dwarf Gardenias