Line trimmers are typically rated in cubic centimeters (CC) instead of horsepower (HP). While CCs and HP are not directly related, there are some general conversions that can be calculated to give you an estimate of the total horsepower of your line trimmer based on CCs. If the owner’s manual lists total foot-pounds per second (ft-lb/sec) that number can be more effectively converted to HP.
Find the owner’s manual specification page. The owner’s manual should list the CCs of the line trimmer as well as the ft-lb/sec. If you do not have the owner’s manual for your line trimmer, search the manufacturer’s website for an online edition.
Convert CCs to HP. The conversion of CCs to HP will give you a general idea of the total HP for the trimmer. CCs measure the size or volume of the engine or motor. HP measures the power that the engine puts out. A general conversion rate for CCs to HP is 1 HP for every 15 CCs. In this case, if the line trimmer is noted as 21 CC, you divide that number by 15 to discover that it could produce about 1.4 HP.
Convert ft-lb/sec to HP. Trimmer specification sheets that include ft-lb/sec can be converted more precisely. For every 550 ft-lb/sec, the line trimmer produces 1 HP. For instance, if your line trimmer is listed as 675 ft-lb/sec, you divide that number by 550 to find that the trimmer would produce 1.23 HP.
Things You Will Need
- Owner's manual
- Determine Gallons of Water Per Hour Needed for a Plant Drip System
- Do I Have to Pay a Contractor That Exceeds Their Estimate?
- Echo Model 650 Gas Leaf Blower Information
- Oil a Fan Motor
- Troubleshoot a Troy-Bilt Generator
- Kohler 18 HP Magnum Twin Specs
- Who Makes Ryobi Trimmers?
- Remove a Spool on a Toro 910 Trimmer
- Mix the Gas for an Eager Beaver Weed Trimmer
- Start a Rototiller
- Why Does the Start Capacitor Overheat?
- Identify Chainsaw Chains