An above-ground pool is a big investment that must be maintained properly to keep it functioning as it should, year after year. It is important to take every precaution to ensure that the pool equipment can withstand a deep freeze if you live in a region that requires you to winterize your pool during the cold season. This usually involves making chemical adjustments to the water, removing the pool ladder, covering the pool, dismantling the filter and preparing the pool pump for the winter chill.
Detach the pool pump from the filter by removing the hose clamps that are connecting the two. Also remove the hose that attaches the pump to the skimmer. Make sure that you have attached the plug to the skimmer wall before detaching the hoses, or you will lose the water in your pool.
Drain all of the water out of the pool pump. Tilt the pool pump upside down so that the water can drain out. It is also a good idea to tip all of the hoses so that they are void of water before storing.
Open the pump housing with a screwdriver. Use your hands to remove any hair or debris that may be tangled around the motor. A buildup of any type of debris inside the motor can cause it to burn out unexpectedly.
Wipe down the motor and common areas with a clean rag. You can use a damp rag, if necessary. It is important to remove all traces of sand, earth or gunk that may have built up around the motor over the swimming season.
Replace the pump housing and screws. Store the pool pump in a dry, out-of-the-way area for the winter. This could be in a shed, basement or garage, where the pump will be protected from the freezing weather.
Things You Will Need
- Skimmer plug
- Safe storage area
- Try to keep all of your pool equipment and accessories stored in the same area.
- Make sure that the pump is unplugged and that the electricity is shut off at the breaker, before you begin the winterizing process.
- Winterize an Outdoor Fountain
- Will A Clogged Exhaust on Lawn Mower Stop The Engine?
- Vacuum a Doughboy Pool
- replace a Quickclean II swimming pool cleaner popup head
- Winterize a Kayak Above Ground Swimming Pool
- Install the Recoil Spring on a Poulan Chain Saw
- Remove a Stuck Lawn Mower Blade
- Drain an Intex Round Ultra Frame Pool
- Replace a Poulan Chainsaw Oil Pump
- Cleaning a Lawn Mower Carburetor
- Install a Chain on a Craftsman Chainsaw
- Drain an Inground Pool Below the Skimmer