Since the first gas-powered line trimmers came onto the market, they have made manicuring your lawn easier and faster. But line cogs, jams and wrestling with yards of line have made replacing line a real hassle. The gas-powered trimmers in Sears' Craftsman line of products use either the Hassle-Free cutting head for two-line trimmers or the Hassle-Free Plus cutting head for four-line trimmers. This type of head provides easy line replacement.
Replacing the Line in Your Trimmer
Remove the glide plate on the bottom of the cutting head, and dispose of any old line left in the cutting head.
Clean the cutting head thoroughly and replace the glide plate. You must do this before replacing the line.
Align the arrow on the glide plate with the proper position in the cutting head; A for smaller-diameter red line used for grass, or B for medium red line or heavy black line used for heavier brush.
Ensure that the line is folded in a hairpin shape and insert both ends through the holes in the side of the cutting head.
Push the line through the holes until the ends protrude from the positioning tunnels on either side of the cutting head.
Pull the line ends evenly through the tunnels until the center of the line fits snugly against the hub of the cutting head. If you installed the line correctly, it will be the same length on both sides of the head.
Repeat steps 4 through 6 on the opposite side of the cutting head for line trimmers that use the Hassle-Free Plus cutting head by rotating the head 180 degrees to the opposite side and installing another line.
Things You Will Need
- Craftsman Hassle-Free spiral line
- Use Craftsman Hassle-Free spiral line in your trimmer. It is specifically designed for use in Hassle-Free heads.
- Install Trimmer Line for a Troy-Bilt Tb20cs
- Troubleshoot a Worx 2-in-1 Grass Trimmer
- Refill an Echo SRM231 String Trimmer
- Change the String in an Eager Beaver Trimmer
- Restring a Troy-Bilt TB425CS
- Replace String on a Ryobi Weed Trimmer
- Wind String Trimmer Spools
- Restring a Ryobi Weed Eater
- Troubleshoot a Featherlite Weedeater
- Wind the Spool on a Black & Decker GrassHog XP
- Remove the String Head on a McCullough Trimmer
- Change String on a Bolens Trimmer