If you have experienced the horror of finding beetles infesting your prize roses, do not give up your roses without a fight. Although beetles can cause significant damage to roses by consuming them, you can control these annoying insects with effort and determination. Remove the beetles manually by picking them off and make an insecticidal soap spray to apply to your roses to eliminate the beetles once and for all.
Remove Beetles by Hand
Fill the glass jar approximately three-quarters full of warm water and add two squirts of dishwashing detergent to the water. Stir the soapy water carefully.
Take the soapy water out to your rose bushes in the early morning and pick off any beetles you find by hand. Drop the beetles directly into the soapy water.
Repeat steps one and two daily until the beetles are not infesting your rose bushes any longer.
Mix 1 tsp. of dishwashing detergent and 1 tsp. of cooking oil in the spray bottle. Fill the spray bottle to the top with warm water.
Place the cap on the spray bottle and shake it gently to incorporate the ingredients.
Spray the insecticidal soap onto the rose foliage, covering the foliage generously on every side of every leaf.
Reapply the insecticidal soap twice per week until you stop seeing beetles eating your roses.
Things You Will Need
- Dishwashing detergent
- Glass jar (quart size)
- Cooking oil
- Warm water
- Spray bottle
- Use both methods of beetle control together for maximum results.
- Do not squish the beetles as you pick them off. Squashed beetles give off a scent that attracts more beetles.