Grass and weeds often grow between the cracks of brick patios and spread through the area. They can appear as an unsightly nuisance to many homeowners. Pulling grass out by hand can be laborious, time-consuming and ineffective. Removing the grass is easy with natural methods, but sometimes you may need to apply a non-selective herbicide. When killing the grass with any method, steer clear of the lawn or garden areas that border your patio.
Fill a large pot with water and boil the water on your stove. Once the water begins boiling heavily, carefully carry the pot to your patio and pour it over your patio in the grass-infested area. Do not splash the water into your lawn or garden.
Sprinkle baking soda over the grass in your patio a few hours after pouring the boiling water onto the grass. Wait one or two days to see if the grass is fully eliminated. Remove any dead grass with your hands, wearing rubber gloves.
Add 1 cup of salt to 2 cups of boiling water if grass remains on your patio. Pour the boiling saltwater over the crack and then wait another day to see if the grass dies.
Pour at least 2 cups of vinegar into a spray bottle. Spray the areas where the grass was on your patio, and spray deep into the cracks. This will help kill any roots that are still living.
Purchase a non-selective herbicide from your local home and garden retailer if grass is still growing. Make sure that the herbicide contains glyphosate and apply as directed to the areas of grass.
Things You Will Need
- Baking soda
- Rubber gloves
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Non-selective herbicide
- Keep pets and children away from the patio for at least 24 hours after you've applied herbicide.
- Where Can I Buy Sod for My Lawn?
- Remove Grass to Install Pavers
- Remove Grass From Stone Walkways
- Clear Grass Between Sidewalk Pavers
- Grow Grass Between Flagstones
- Plant Purple Fountain Grass
- Kill Grass to Make a Garden
- How Much Grass Seed Per Square Foot?
- Kill Grass Before Tilling
- Paint Your Lawn Green
- Kill Grass With Household Products
- Kill Torpedo Grass