The English walnut tree has two claims to fame: It produces an edible nut, and it serves as a good shade tree. The tree is easy to grow because it is adapted to many environmental conditions and types of soil. Because it quickly grows to its mature 60-foot height, it’s wise to begin pruning it to a shape you desire while it is small. Pruning this tree can also benefit its overall health.
Examine your tree from a distance and determine what shape you'd like it to take. If you prune to the tree’s natural spherical growth, it will respond better and mean less work for you in the future than if you try to force it into a topiary.
Cut lower branches back to the main trunk to encourage a strong trunk and open up the area under the tree so you can walk, mow or sit beneath it.
Open up the crown, or growing region at the top of the tree, by cutting branches near the top. Focus on smaller, narrow branches and leave healthy, larger branches. If you want to cut these larger branches back partway to maintain a spherical shape, this is an acceptable practice.
Prune any dead, dying or diseased branches every winter after the tree has dropped all of its leaves. At this time, you can also prune branches to maintain the tree's spherical shape.
Things You Will Need
- Large pruning loppers
- Tree saw
- Chainsaw (optional)
- Ladder (optional)
- Always cut branches on the outside edge of their branch collar, the slightly swollen area where the branch connects to the trunk.
- English walnut trees are fairly carefree and do not require extensive yearly pruning unless you want to keep them small to make harvesting nuts easier.
- Never allow your saw to cut into the collar or the trunk; doing so can cause disease or rot to enter the tree.
- Use caution when you work with power saws, especially if you must climb a ladder to use one.
- Do Deer Like to Eat River Birch Trees?
- Prune Mango Trees
- Prune & Top an Avocado Tree
- Prune Pomelo Trees
- Prune a Tropical Hibiscus Tree
- How Long Do Sequoia Trees Live?
- Care for a Prairie Fire Crabapple Tree
- Trim Althea Trees
- How Tall Is a Dwarf Cherry Weeping Willow Tree?
- Is a Corn Kernel Seed a Dicot or Monocot?
- Trim Pine Trees
- Grow Norway Spruce Trees