A small population of ants is considered beneficial for most lawns, but if the ants are creating unsightly anthills in your yard, lawn ants can be a nuisance. With the aid of some valuable home remedies, you can keep ants out of your lawn for good.
Spray vinegar on the yard. Load white vinegar into a clean, empty spray bottle. Spray generously on any areas you have seen ants in your lawn, including on anthills. Repeat every time rain washes away the vinegar.
Spread crushed black pepper around any anthills. Ants dislike the scent and taste of black pepper and will avoid living near an area that is coated with black pepper. Spread the pepper in a thin coat across all anthills in your yard. Repeat every few days as necessary.
Place mint leaves throughout your yard to prevent ants. Ants will avoid mint leaves because the scent of mint bothers them. Crush or tear the mint leaves with your fingers before spreading them over the lawn. Repeat every few weeks.
Place one part borax, one part water and one part sugar in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Place the bowl on your lawn where you have seen the most ants, or prepare several bowls of the mixture and place them in multiple areas. The ants will detect the scent of the sugar, then fall into the bowl as the borax kills the ants.
Break up cinnamon sticks and place them on the lawn. Cinnamon sticks have a strong cinnamon scent that repels ants. Place more cinnamon down when the old sticks no longer have a detectable scent.
Things You Will Need
- White vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Black pepper
- Mint leaves
- Cinnamon sticks
- Cinnamon, pepper and vinegar remedies can also be used inside the home.
- Do not spread borax on your lawn or use it on your grass.
- Keep borax away from children.
- Get Rid of Chiggers in Your Yard
- Repel Dogs From Your Lawn
- Home Remedy to Kill Red Ants in the Yard
- Kill Crabgrass in Bermuda Grass
- Spread Diatomaceous Earth on a Lawn
- Neutralize Dog Urine on Grass
- Lawn Treatment for Fleas & Fire Ants
- Does Chlorinated Water Kill Grass?
- Kill Fleas & Chiggers in the Lawn
- Kill Grubs in the Lawn
- Use Borax on a Lawn to Kill Creeping Charlie
- Kill Lawn Insects