Are Gerber Daisies Toxic?
The gerber daisy is also known as the African daisy, Veldt daisy, Transvaal daisy and the Barberton daisy. Gerber daisies will not cause symptoms associated with plant poisoning in animals and children, because they are nontoxic, although the ingestion of any plant can cause adverse effects.
Ingestion of the gerber daisy by humans will not cause symptoms of plant poisoning. Gerber daisies are not poisonous to humans, but they can cause symptoms of an allergic reaction if ingested. Choking is one of the biggest hazards of plant ingestion and most commonly occurs in children.
Gerber daisies ingested by animals such as cats, dogs and horses will not cause serious health effects. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals states that Gerber daisies are nontoxic to animals. Animals can suffer from some gastrointestinal discomfort after ingesting any type of plant material, however.
If accidental ingestion of the gerber daisy occurs and causes adverse effects in humans or animals, consult a doctor or veterinarian as soon as possible. Take a sample of the daisy with you to have the plant identified properly.
Tracy Hodge has been a professional writer since 2007. She currently writes content for various websites, specializing in health and fitness. Hodge also does ghostwriting projects for books, as well as poetry pieces. She has studied nutrition extensively, especially bodybuilding diets and nutritional supplements.