Distinguished by their leathery, heart-shaped leaves and sharp, thorny stems, Greenbrier vines grow along forests, woodlands, ponds and streams. Greenbrier vines generally take the form of shrubbery, but also climb trees and reach 30 feet in height. Although Greenbrier vines supply essential shelter and food supply for wildlife, these woody vines pierce skin and tear clothing when accessed. Greenbrier vines also rapidly develop and form extensive overgrowth that becomes difficult to control. Fortunately, you can kill Greenbrier vines.
Untangle the undesired Greenbrier vine from the tree, shrub or object without severing the vine’s stems. Keep the vine in one piece as you unravel it.
Spread the untangled vine out onto a plastic drop cloth to protect the bare ground from the herbicide. Protect yourself by wearing long clothing, goggles and chemical-resistant gloves.
Fill a clean 2 gallon pail with 1 gallon of water. Pour 12 oz. of a commercial herbicide consisting of 41 percent glyphosate into the water. Stir the solution until the herbicide is consistently distributed throughout.
Pour the diluted glyphosate into a pump sprayer. Spray the diluted glyphosate generously over the unraveled Greenbrier vine. Apply the herbicide in calm weather to prevent the spray from drift onto surrounding vegetation.
Keep the glyphosate herbicide on the ivy for 48 hours, and then use garden shears to cut the Greenbrier vine’s stem flush with the ground.
Things You Will Need
- Plastic drop cloth
- Long clothing
- Chemical-resistant gloves
- Clean 2-gallon pail
- 12 oz. of 41-percent glyphosate herbicide
- Stirring utensil
- Pump sprayer
- Garden shears
- Keep glyphosate away from kids and pets, as the herbicide is toxic.
- Glyphosate may damage nearby vegetation, so keep the herbicide solution away from desired plants.
- The Height of an Average Tomato Plant
- Propagate a Passion Fruit Vine
- Grow Jasmine Vine in Zone 7
- Kill Bougainvillea
- Get Rid of Wild Sweet Potato Vines in Your Garden
- Remove Ivy Suckers From Siding
- Winter a Mandevilla Plant
- Grow Monstera Deliciosa
- Permanently Kill Ivy
- Get Rid of Vines That Kill Trees
- Care for the Plant Muehlenbeckia Axillaris
- Take Care of a Mandevilla Hoop Plant