Fruit flies are not only annoying, but they present a potential health risk. Attracted by trash and fermenting fruits and vegetables, these tiny insects leave bacteria behind everywhere they go. Although commercial fruit fly killers are effective, they also contain hazardous chemicals that may be dangerous to your family and pets. Natural treatments are available that can quickly and effectively solve your fruit fly problem.
Place a quarter cup of chardonnay into a disposable cup.
Add one squirt of liquid dish soap. Stir to combine.
Place the cup on a counter where you see fruit flies. The sweetness of the wine attracts the flies; when they drink the liquid, the dish detergent kills them.
Empty the contents of the cup into the sink or down the toilet once dead flies accumulate. Refill the cup with fresh chardonnay and liquid soap to catch more flies.
Place enough apple cider vinegar into a small bowl to just cover the bottom. Stir in one squirt of liquid dish soap.
Cover the bowl with a piece of plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band.
Use a fork to poke holes in the plastic. The fruit flies enter through the holes in the plastic wrap and die once trapped inside.
Remove the plastic wrap and empty the contents of the bowl into a zip-close bag. Throw it away outside.
Peel a mango using a vegetable peeler.
Place the mango peels inside a clean, empty wine bottle.
Place the wine bottle in your kitchen. Flies are attracted to the sweetness of the mango peel. Once they enter the bottle, they struggle to find their way back out and eventually they die.
Things You Will Need
- Disposable cup
- Liquid dish soap
- Apple cider vinegar
- Small bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Rubber band
- Zip-close bag
- Vegetable peeler
- Empty wine bottle
- To prevent fruit flies from returning, discard old fruits and vegetables outside in a zip-close bag. Also, keep trash cans sealed with tight-fitting lids. Clean the inside of all trash cans periodically using soap and water.
- What is the Fastest Growing Fruit Tree?
- Make Your Own Gnat or Fruit Fly Catcher
- Bait a Skunk
- Get Rid of Wasps Without Killing Them
- Ant Control
- Kill Ants in My Tree
- Get Rid of Gnats on House Plants
- Kill Ants Without Killing the Plant
- Remove Gnats From Potting Soil
- Get Rid of Caterpillars in Fruit Tree
- Make Homemade Ant Killer
- Kill Wasps Using Soap & Lemon