If your Snapper riding mower is running poorly, is difficult to start, or seems to be running at less than full power, there are a few simple tasks you can do to locate and fix the problem. Snapper is a very user-friendly machine, so you don’t have to be a mechanic to do many of the repairs. The user manual is a valuable source of information, with an exhaustive troubleshooting section. Some tools are required, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Locate the battery, which is usually under the seat or under the hood. Clean both the positive and negative terminal by using a mixture of baking soda and water. Scrub the corrosion away with a small wire brush. Be certain the connections are secure.
Remove the spark plugs by using the proper sized deep drive socket. If the spark plugs are fouled (covered with thick, sticky oil), replace them with new ones.
Remove the air filter cover and clean the pre-filter by washing it in soapy water. Dry it and rub a small amount of clean oil into it.
Clean the air filter with an air compressor. Blow all the debris out of the folds. If the filter is old and excessively dirty, replace it with a new one.
Remove the gas filter by pinching the clamp together with pliers and pulling the gas line off. Do this on both ends of the filter. Put a new filter in, making certain it faces the correct direction.
Remove any old gas, and replace it with fresh gas.
Examine all fuses, and be certain they are all intact. If not, replace the blown fuses.
Things You Will Need
- Small wire brush
- Deep drive sockets and ratchet
- Air compressor
- Never work on the mower when the engine is hot.
- Stihl HS 80 Hedge Trimmer Troubleshooting
- Repair a Cub Cadet
- Troubleshoot a Rheem Furnace Humming Noise
- Remove a Spool on a Toro 910 Trimmer
- Tune a Lawn Edger Carburetor
- How do I Troubleshoot a Stihl Fs45 Trimmer?
- Tune Up a Mantis Tiller
- Clean Oil from a Swimming Pool
- Replace Cub Cadet Steering Bushing
- Remove & Replace a Carburetor on a Craftsman Mower
- STIHL Weedeater Troubleshooting
- Replace a Toro Z Master Clutch