Stamped concrete is pre-stamped, which means it has a design or a painting over the top. You’ll have to etch this stamped concrete before painting over it so that the floor will be sturdier and more serviceable. Painting a stamped concrete surface gets it ready for hard and regular use and will help it hold up for years.
Liberally apply the acid-based concrete cleaner to the stamped concrete. Using your long-handled broom and while wearing gloves, spread the cleaner evenly over the concrete. The acid in the cleaner will slightly etch or make marks in the concrete itself, and this is exactly what you want.
Allow the concrete to sit under the cleaner for about 10 minutes.
Rinse the concrete thoroughly. You can either use a hose or several buckets of water. Leave your gloves on.
Allow the clean concrete to dry completely. This may take an hour or more.
Apply the primer. Pour some into your rolling pan. Make sure you use an oil-based primer for this. As you roll on the primer, the oil will flow into the etchings that the cleaner made and literally grip the surface of the concrete.
Let the primer dry. This will take at least 24 hours, and longer if the weather is wet or humid.
Choose a finishing paint of your choice to paint the surface. Your concrete floor will now hold up year after year, and it will serve just as well as if it were originally bare concrete.
Things You Will Need
- Professional grade acid-based concrete cleaner
- Long-handled shop broom
- Oil-based primer
- Paint roller and roller pan
- Hose or several buckets of water as a rinse
- Always work in a well ventilated area, and stop painting, priming or cleaning if you start to feel lightheaded.
- Make Concrete Waterproof
- Use Formby's Tung Oil
- Remove Hearth Concrete Stains
- Redo a Countertop With Epoxy and Flakes
- Paint Concrete to Look Like Tile
- Different Flooring Options Over Concrete
- Tips on Working With Sikaflex
- Sherwin Williams Concrete Floor Stain Colors
- Seal Old Concrete Floors
- Directions for Use of Curtail Herbicide
- Stain a Concrete Sidewalk
- Apply Tung Oil on Concrete Countertops