Concrete is a commonly used building material, combining cement, sand, gravel and water. Because it is a porous material, it can be contaminated by mold, pet urine and other unsafe things. In these cases it is important to disinfect the concrete surface for the health of your family. Disinfecting concrete is not a difficult task and should be undertaken at the first sign of dangerous contaminants.
Sweep the concrete to remove all dirt, dust and other debris.
Open all windows and doors to ensure the best possible ventilation.
Wash the concrete if needed with soapy water and a soft scrub brush.
Pour 1 to 2 cups of bleach into 1 gallon of distilled water.
Cover the concrete in the solution, reapplying as needed on vertical surfaces such as walls. The concrete must remain wet for at least 15 minutes to allow the solution to penetrate and disinfect.
Rinse the concrete with clean water.
Soak up the excess water with towels and rags if there is no drainage.
Dry the concrete as quickly as possible with fans and portable dehumidifiers. This will help to prevent mold growth.