Gardeners growing petunias usually enjoy flowering plants that do not present challenges or difficulties. Petunias are not prone to disease or insect infestation in the same way as other annual flowers and vegetables. If you do have problems with aphids on petunias, treat them swiftly to avoid further problems. Use natural control methods to get rid of aphids on petunias and your petunias will continue to thrive and bloom in your landscaping areas.
Examine your petunia plants regularly during the growing season to prevent aphid infestation from escalating before you notice the insects. Turn leaves over to look at the undersides of the foliage because aphids often congregate under leaves.
Set the spray nozzle of the hose to a strong stream and direct the stream of water at the petunia foliage where you find aphids. Spray the foliage forcefully to knock the aphids from the leaves and stems of your petunia plants.
Mix 2 tbsp. dishwashing detergent with 1 gallon of tepid water in the bucket. Stir the soapy water well to activate the bubbles.
Fill a spray bottle with the soapy water and screw the cap onto the spray bottle.
Spray the foliage with the soapy water, making sure you saturate the foliage thoroughly with the water. Reapply the soapy water once per week to remove aphids and prevent future infestations.
Things You Will Need
- Hose (with spray nozzle)
- 2 tbsp. liquid dishwashing detergent
- 1 gallon tepid water
- Spray bottle
- Apply the soapy water early in the day when the sun is not shining directly onto the petunias. Sun baking the wet soapy water into the foliage may damage the plants.
- Do not apply the soapy water to the petunia plants if the temperature is over 90 degrees F because the plants may suffer damage at high temperatures.
- Grow Mexican Petunias
- Fertilizer for Petunias
- Care for a Wave Petunia
- Purchase & Care for Milkweed Plants
- Bring Dried Out Petunias Back to Life
- Wilted Petunias
- Kill Whiteflies on Plants
- Which Annual Plants Are Deer Resistant?
- Care for Leggy Petunias
- Remove Aphids From a Freshly Cut Bouquet
- What Causes Petunias to Die?
- Get Rid of Bugs in Petunias