Poison ivy can cause an allergic reaction in people that often leads to a rash. The rash is caused by an oil in the ivy called urushiol. Poison ivy consists of three leaflets, with the middle leaflet being much longer than the side ones. By identifying poison ivy correctly and wearing the right protective clothing, you can remove the plant from your garden before it spreads.
Put on protective gloves that fully cover the hands and arms.
Cover the area with poison ivy with a newspaper or tarp. Cover the area so that no sunlight can get through to the plants.
Wait a few days for the poison ivy plants to die from lack of sunlight and nutrients.
Remove the newspaper or tarp cover.
Dig up the dead plants by the root system using a shovel. Make sure there are no plant parts left behind, as that may be cause for the poison ivy plant to continue growing.
Place the plant and its parts into a sealed bag. Dispose of it in the trash.