Poisonous plants, such as poison ivy and poison oak, can ruin a home garden, cause irritation and illness to those who make contact with them, or endanger the life of a household pet. It is important to rid your lawn or garden of any poisonous plants as soon as possible, as leaving the problem will only cause the plant to grow larger and more difficult to kill. Although it is important that you use caution when dealing with poisonous plants, eliminating them from your garden is a simple process that can be accomplished in a relatively short period of time.
Put on gardening gloves and long-sleeved clothing and pants. It is important that your skin not make contact with poisonous plants.
Use a shovel to break up the soil around the area where the plant has grown.
Remove as much of the plant from the ground as you are able. Dispose of directly into a trash bag.
Pour 2 cups of herbicide killer into a clean and empty bottle with sprayer attachment. Herbicide killer is available at any lawn and garden center.
Spray the roots and soil of the poisonous plant.
Spread newspapers on top of the area where you have sprayed. Weigh it down with bricks or heavy weights. Placing newspapers over any leftover plant roots will ensure that the poisoned plant does not receive the sunlight and moisture it needs to grow and will kill it in about two weeks.