Using It All Turkey Soup
1 TURKEY CARCASS with 2 cups cooked meat remaining on carcass
2 Tablespoons canola oil
3 Cups sweet onions thinly sliced
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon ground sage
1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1-1/2 Cups celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Cups carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2 Cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
2/3 Cup small shell pasta
- Remove meat from carcass and chop into bite size pieces. Cover and reserve in refrigerator.
- Chop turkey carcass into several large pieces.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft and light brown.
- Stir in turkey bones, salt, pepper, herbs, and 2 quarts water. Increase heat to high and quickly bring mixture to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard carcass pieces.
- Stir in vegetables, cover and continue to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, bring mixture to a quick boil and stir in shell pasta.
- Lower heat to medium and cook 8-12 additional minutes until pasta and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in reserved turkey. Heat over low heat for 5-10 minutes or until the temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve hot with crusty rolls.
Recipe by The National Turkey Federation.