Poison ivy is a woody vine that can grow in excess of 10 feet long. It can be found growing up and around a tree or along a walking path. You can recognize poison ivy by its three leaves and white berries that look a bit waxy. If you see this plant, don't touch it. The oil on the plant will cause a rash, blisters and a horrible itch. The best thing to do is get rid of the poison ivy vine as soon as you come across it.
Prepare yourself to work with the poison ivy. You must dress so that your body is completely covered. Any exposed skin will be at risk.
Cut the poison ivy with the pruning shears until it is only six inches from the ground. Place the cut poison ivy vine pieces in a thick trash bag and put it out for trash pick-up, recommends Marrick.com.
Spray the remaining poison ivy vine with an herbicide. The Missouri Department of Conservation recommends using an herbicide with the active ingredient glyphosate. Do this in May or June, when the poison ivy plant is most active.
Repeat two to three weeks later if the entire poison ivy plant didn't die. Poison ivy can be stubborn, which means it may take a few doses of the glyphosate herbicide before the entire plant is under control.
Wash your clothes and the pruning shears in hot water and detergent as soon as you have finished working with the poison ivy vine to kill any lingering oil.