Plan the perfect garden with our interactive tool →

How to Keep Peace Lily Leaves Shiny

Medioimages/Photodisc/Valueline/Getty Images

The large, glossy leaves of peace lilies (Spathiphyllum spp.) are one of their best features. Although attractive, this foliage tends to collect dust and lose its shine. Peace lilies grow outdoors as perennials only in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 10 through 11, so they are often grown as houseplants. Dust inside the home builds up on the broad leaves and you need to remove it. Regularly dusting and polishing improves plant's appearance and also removes any small pests, such as aphids or mites, that are feeding on the undersides of the leaves.

Step 1

Dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with lukewarm water. You can also use a nonabrasive sponge.

  • The large, glossy leaves of peace lilies (Spathiphyllum spp.)
  • Regularly dusting and polishing improves plant's appearance and also removes any small pests, such as aphids or mites, that are feeding on the undersides of the leaves.

Step 2

Fold the cloth in half around a leaf, so the leaf is between two layers of cloth. Wipe the leaf from its base to its tip. Repeat for each leaf. Rinse and wring out the cloth between leaves.

Step 3

Set the peace lily in an area with bright, indirect sunlight so the leaves can dry . Move the lily back to its usual spot once the foliage dries.

Step 4

Rub the upper leaf surfaces gently with a square of clean cheesecloth, buffing lightly until the leaf shines. Repeat the cleaning and buffing process once or twice a month to keep the peace lily leaves shiny and clean.

  • Fold the cloth in half around a leaf, so the leaf is between two layers of cloth.
  • Repeat the cleaning and buffing process once or twice a month to keep the peace lily leaves shiny and clean.

Tip

Commercial leaf polishes aren't necessary and they can harm plants. The polish can block the pores in the leaves so the plant can't properly absorb air.

Warning

Peace lily sap can cause skin irritation and it is harmful if swallowed.

Garden Guides
×