The Stihl 028 Wood Boss chainsaw, a gas-powered, two-stroke engine, needs continuous maintenance and upkeep to ensure the chainsaw continues to run smoothly. The chainsaw must be disassembled and cleaned after every use. It will also need disassembling during any repair work, so it is a crucial task that all 028 operators should learn. While disassembly and cleaning will improve performance, it will also ensure the chainsaw lasts many years. Wear protective gloves at all times when handling the 028.
Pull the front hand guard back against the front handle to disengage the chain brake. Loosen the bar nuts with the wrench end of the combination bar tool until they are finger tight. Release the chain’s tension, unscrewing the bar adjustment screw counterclockwise with the screwdriver end of the bar tool.
Take the bar cover off the bar posts. Lift the bar and chain off the bar posts and away from the drive sprocket. Pull the chain off the bar. Unscrew the six pan-head screws holding the side plate, on the bar posts, and the cover, sitting around the drive sprocket.
Pop the E-clip off the crankshaft stub, driving the screwdriver tip underneath the clip and wedging it off. Pull the thrust washer and E-clip off the stub. Pull the circlip off the stub using the circlip pliers.
Pull the second washer off the chain sprocket. Take off the drive sprocket cover as well. Turn the oil pump drive worm clockwise while pulling it off the pump shaft. Pull the chain sprocket and needle cage off the crankshaft.
Unscrew the top cylinder cover with your screwdriver. Unscrew the two screws holding the filtration screen above the carburetor. Unhook the rubber boot covering the spark plug. Unscrew the spark plug from the cylinder using the wrench side of the bar tool. Reinstall all parts in reverse sequence.
Things You Will Need
- Bar combination tool (scrench)
- Circlip pliers
- Leather work gloves
- Remove a John Deere Mower Deck
- Stretch Wire Mesh Fence
- Adjust the Carburetor of a Weedeater SST25
- Tune Small 4 Cycle Gasoline Engines
- Adjust the Chain Tension on a Stihl Chainsaw
- Replace the Blade on a Toro Recycler 6.5 Lawn Mower
- Change the Oil on a Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Model 556
- Clean a Featherlite Weed Eater & Carburetor
- Replace the Pawl on a Husqvarna Chainsaw
- Remove the Carburetor from a Toro Lawnmower
- How Does a STIHL Chainsaw Oil System Work?
- Tune Up a Craftsman Snowblower 5/23