Spiders are a natural resource, but once they start to move into the house, it is time to do something about them. Spiders tend to located in cool and dark environments, including underneath beds and in closets. Use natural alternatives to insecticides to get rid of spiders, since chemical insecticides can be harmful if sprayed inside the house.
Locate and remove unused cardboard items from the house. Spiders will often hide in cardboard.
Attach a used dryer sheet to the end of a broom. Use it to remove spider webs from the exterior of your home. Go from room to room in the interior, removing spider webs with the dryer sheet attached to the broom. Use a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment to remove live spiders. Clean the vacuum and ensure that the spiders are dead.
Mix 2 tbsp. lemon essential oil and 2 cups liquid lavender soap in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle to mix the ingredients. Lemon oils and lavender soaps are natural spider deterrents.
Spray doorways, windows, windowsills and entrance areas around the outside of the house. Spray areas where the spider webs were found. Move to the inside of the home, and spray around inside doorways, windows, windowsills and other entrance areas.
Place chestnuts around the exterior walls of each room of the house, as well as windowsills, doorway entrances and any other entrances. Chestnuts are a natural deterrent for spiders.
Locate cracks in walls, windows, windowsills and doorway areas outside. Seal exterior cracks with clear silicone caulking. Inspect the interior of the home for cracks and seal with clear silicone caulking.
Cut down high grass near the exterior of the home. Prune excess vegetation near doorways, windows and windowsills.
Things You Will Need
- Used dryer sheets
- Lemon essential oils
- Liquid lavender soap
- Spray bottle
- Clear silicone caulking
- Caulking gun
- Use a vacuum cleaner once a week to remove new spider webs.
- Keep the outside area near the home clutter-free.
- Keep the inside of the home free of clutter and cardboard.
- Lemon furniture polish can also be used to spray around windows, windowsills and doorways. Lemon is a natural deterrent to spiders.
- Use caution when working to eliminate spiders.
- Grow Lemongrass Plants
- Keep a Skunk & Possum Away From Your Barn
- Keep Spiders Out of the Chicken Coop
- Paint a Logo on Outside Concrete
- Use Hedge Apples to Control Spiders
- Kill Bees in a Tree
- Care Instructions for a Spider Plant
- Trim Mondo Grass
- Prepare a Concrete Wall for Painting
- Care for a Wren House
- Kill Trapdoor Spiders
- Ant Control