The sago palm (Cycas revoluta) is an evergreen, cone-bearing tree that is hardy to U.S. Department of Agriculture Plant Hardiness Zones 8 through 10. All parts of the sago palm tree are poisonous. According to North Carolina State University, consumption of the sago palm seed pods can cause diarrhea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness and seizures in both animals and people. The pods can be easily removed to prevent spreading of the plants and seeds and to prevent animals and children from coming in contact with the poison.
Wear gloves before coming in contact with any part of the sago palm.
Keep children and pets away from the area when you begin cutting the pods. Pets find the pods appetizing and will chew on them. Seed pods can become toxic to pets if they eat the pods. Sago palm pods can be toxic to humans if consumed in large amounts.
Cut the seed pods all the way down to the base of the pod using sharp pruning sheers. Place the pods in a garbage bag for disposal. Dispose of the pods in the county dump or landfill. Do not burn the pods as this can make the poisons in the seed pods airborne.