Briggs and Stratton are known throughout the lawn mower industry. They make single cylinder and V-twin engines. If the engine begin to runs sporadically or you just want to make sure it is running at the correct RPM (revolutions per minute), hooking up a tachometer can give a precise reading of the engine's performance. It takes only a few minutes to go through this procedure.
Place the engine on a hard, level surface. Check the engine oil to ensure the proper level.
Turn on the tachometer and set the meter to four stroke.
Wrap the end of the lead coming from the tachometer around the spark plug wire. It's located at the front of the engine and is plugged into the spark plug.
Start the engine and check the reading in the idle position. Rev the engine to the full throttle position and check the reading again. Check these readings against the operator's manual, as every Briggs and Stratton engine has different specifications.
Things You Will Need
- Adjust the Governor on the Craftsman Lawn Mower Model Number 917.377561
- Charge a 12 Volt Mower Battery
- Fix the Drive Cable on a Troy Bilt 860
- How a Governor on a Briggs & Stratton Engine Works
- Install a Needle & Seat in a Tecumseh Carburetor
- Adjust Deck Height on a Yardman Riding Mower
- Turn on the Front Headlights of a Husqvarna Lawn Mower
- Start a Rototiller
- Change the Oil in a Murray Lawn Mower
- Adjust the Idle in a Honda OHV Lawn Mower
- Change a Drive Belt on a Zero Turn Lawnmower
- Troubleshoot a Troy-Bilt Generator