Briggs and Stratton are known throughout the lawn mower industry. They make single cylinder and V-twin engines. If the engine begin to runs sporadically or you just want to make sure it is running at the correct RPM (revolutions per minute), hooking up a tachometer can give a precise reading of the engine's performance. It takes only a few minutes to go through this procedure.
Place the engine on a hard, level surface. Check the engine oil to ensure the proper level.
Turn on the tachometer and set the meter to four stroke.
Wrap the end of the lead coming from the tachometer around the spark plug wire. It's located at the front of the engine and is plugged into the spark plug.
Start the engine and check the reading in the idle position. Rev the engine to the full throttle position and check the reading again. Check these readings against the operator's manual, as every Briggs and Stratton engine has different specifications.
Things You Will Need
- Change the Drive Belt on a Craftsman Zts 7500 Riding Mower
- Install a Mower Deck on a John Deere LX176
- How a Governor on a Briggs & Stratton Engine Works
- Change the Oil in a GTS-5 Toro Lawn Mower
- Put a Tach Meter on a Lawnmower
- Adjust the Idle in a Honda OHV Lawn Mower
- Check the Oil on Toro Lawn Mowers
- Make a Compost Bin From a Garbage Can
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- Why Does the Start Capacitor Overheat?
- Set the Timing on a Briggs and Stratton Engine
- Who Makes Ryobi Trimmers?