Briggs and Stratton are known throughout the lawn mower industry. They make single cylinder and V-twin engines. If the engine begin to runs sporadically or you just want to make sure it is running at the correct RPM (revolutions per minute), hooking up a tachometer can give a precise reading of the engine's performance. It takes only a few minutes to go through this procedure.
Place the engine on a hard, level surface. Check the engine oil to ensure the proper level.
Turn on the tachometer and set the meter to four stroke.
Wrap the end of the lead coming from the tachometer around the spark plug wire. It's located at the front of the engine and is plugged into the spark plug.
Start the engine and check the reading in the idle position. Rev the engine to the full throttle position and check the reading again. Check these readings against the operator's manual, as every Briggs and Stratton engine has different specifications.
Things You Will Need
- Adjust the Idle Screw on a Leaf Blower
- How Do I Adjust The Drive Belt Tension on a Dixon Mower Model 3362?
- Make a Compost Bin From a Garbage Can
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- Check the Oil on Toro Lawn Mowers
- Adjust a Riding Lawn Mower Carburetor
- Change the Oil in Cub Cadet Lawn Mowers
- Remove the Carburetor from a Toro Lawnmower
- Adjust the Idle in a Honda OHV Lawn Mower
- Troubleshoot a John Deere Walk Behind
- Is Lucky Bamboo Poisonous to Cats?
- Install a Mower Deck on a John Deere LX176