Briggs and Stratton are known throughout the lawn mower industry. They make single cylinder and V-twin engines. If the engine begin to runs sporadically or you just want to make sure it is running at the correct RPM (revolutions per minute), hooking up a tachometer can give a precise reading of the engine's performance. It takes only a few minutes to go through this procedure.
Place the engine on a hard, level surface. Check the engine oil to ensure the proper level.
Turn on the tachometer and set the meter to four stroke.
Wrap the end of the lead coming from the tachometer around the spark plug wire. It's located at the front of the engine and is plugged into the spark plug.
Start the engine and check the reading in the idle position. Rev the engine to the full throttle position and check the reading again. Check these readings against the operator's manual, as every Briggs and Stratton engine has different specifications.
Things You Will Need
- Adjust a Riding Lawn Mower Carburetor
- Change the Drive Belt on a Craftsman Zts 7500 Riding Mower
- How a Governor on a Briggs & Stratton Engine Works
- Adjust a Carburetor on a Ryobi Grass Trimmer
- Adjust the Speed of a Lawn Mower
- Adjust the Carburetor on an Echo Line Trimmer
- How Do I Adjust The Drive Belt Tension on a Dixon Mower Model 3362?
- Adjust Cruise Control in a John Deere Lawn Mower
- Building Raised Vegetable Garden Beds
- Will A Clogged Exhaust on Lawn Mower Stop The Engine?
- Adjust Deck Height on a Yardman Riding Mower
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs