The 'Diablo' ninebark is a shrub that can grow nearly 6 feet high. It is adaptable to many conditions and can serve as a border in a yard or a windbreak in larger settings. In the early summer, it produces red and pink flowers. Like other shrubs, however, you may want to limit its size, which requires some trimming. Horticulturists recommend waiting until late winter or early spring before pruning.
Identify the size and shape you desire in the shrub. The Diablo ninebark can grow as wide as 10 feet.
Search for a smaller branch that is located on the outer side of a larger branch. Cut away the larger branch at an angle with sharp pruning shears. This will allow the smaller branch to grow.
Remove older canes or branches that are no longer providing flowers every one or two years. Cut these unproductive branches at ground level with lopping shears.
Things You Will Need
- Pruning shears
- Lopping shears
- Sturdy work gloves
- Wear sturdy work gloves when trimming shrubs.
- Prune White Oak
- When to Plant Azalea Bushes
- Prune a Coppertina Shrub
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams
- Prune a Norway Maple
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- Deer-resistant Evergreens
- The Best Time to Prune a Lilac Tree
- Grow Cotton
- The Best Time to Prune Maple Trees