The Briggs and Stratton Pulsa Jet carburetor regulates fuel flow on the aluminum series of engines. The most common application of this carburetor is for small horsepower lawn mowers and rototillers. The Pulsa Jet carburetor resides above the on-board gasoline tank. Fuel is drawn up into the device through two fuel suction lines. A single needle valve resides near the rear of the carburetor unit, that faces the push handles of the mower or rototiller. The needle valve has a slot-type screw head.
Close the needle valve with the screwdriver in a clockwise direction.
Open the needle valve 1 1/2 turns in a counter-clockwise direction. This setting allows the engine to be started and warmed to operation temperature. Keep the air filter in place for correct adjustment.
Start the engine according to the manufacturer's instructions for the device. Accelerate the engine to operational speed.
Turn the needle valve in a clockwise direction, closing it, until the engine begins to lose speed. Slowly back the needle valve out, counter-clockwise direction, until the engine smooths out.
Test the engine under a full-load condition. Mow grass with the lawn mower or cultivate soil with the rototiller. Turn the needle valve slightly in a counter-clockwise direction if the engine loses speed while under full-load conditions. It may take several minor adjustments to the needle valve in order to get the best performance from the engine.
Things You Will Need
- Slot head screwdriver
- Use only fresh gasoline in the engine when performing the above adjustment as old gasoline will cause the engine to operate erratically.
- If the device fails to adjust properly after following the above steps, the two fuel suction lines may be clogged. There are small screens in the ends of both plastic tubes. The carburetor must be removed from the fuel tank and the lines or screens cleaned.
- Adjust a Riding Lawn Mower Carburetor
- Remove the Engine From a Riding Mower
- Specifications for a John Deere 310A Backhoe
- Store Electric Lawn Mowers
- How Do I Adjust The Drive Belt Tension on a Dixon Mower Model 3362?
- How Does the Primer Bulb on a Walbro Carburetor Work?
- Disable the Safety on a Murray Mower
- Get Bad Gas Out of a Push Mower
- Replace a Sears Lawn Mower Battery
- Repair a Scotts Lawn Tractor
- Bypass a Flow Sensor in a Pool Heater
- Fix a Flooded Riding Lawn Mower Engine