The Craftsman LT1000 is a large lawn tractor used for mowing grass. The single double-edged blade used in the tractor is razor sharp, and it wears out over time. Replacing the blade will ensure a consistent grass height every time you mow your lawn. Contact your local Sears store and check if it carries replacement blades for the Craftsman LT1000. You can also resharpen the blade, but Sears does not recommend that you do so.
Open the battery box door under the seat pan. Disconnect the black cable with a wrench, followed by the red cable. Remove the battery from the tractor. Adjust the mower height to its highest setting. Make sure there is an adequate amount of space between the mower and the ground before going under the mower. If you need more space, use a car jack to raise the mower higher.
Put on the heavy work gloves and slide under the mower. Unscrew the hexagonal bolt holding the blade, using a wrench. Remove the lock washer and the flat washer. Remove the blade from the mandrel assembly, being careful when doing so.
Clean any dirt, grass or other debris from the mandrel assembly with a moist rag. In particular, clean the bolt that attaches the blade.
Attach the replacement blade to the mandrel assembly. Fasten the flat washer, the lock washer and the hex bolt, in that order, to the mandrel assembly. Tighten the bolt to between 30 and 35 ft.-lbs. of torque, using a torque wrench.
Lower the mower to its regular height. Replace the battery in the battery compartment under the seat. Reconnect the red battery cable, followed by the black cable.
Things You Will Need
- Moist rag
- Heavy work gloves
- Torque wrench
- Jack stand (optional)
- Be very careful when handling the blade, as it is razor sharp.
- Adjust the Steering on My Craftsman Lawn Tractor
- Change the Drive Belt on a Craftsman Zts 7500 Riding Mower
- How Do I Override a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Backup Switch?
- MTD 139 CC OHV Engine Specs
- Snapper Mower History
- Change the Cutting Height on Push Mowers
- Clean a Lawn Mower Engine
- Unhitch a Bush Hog
- Replace the Blade on a Toro Recycler 6.5 Lawn Mower
- Take off Lawn Mower Blades
- Change a Simplicity Mower Tire
- Measure a Riding Mower Deck