The Craftsman LT1000 is a large lawn tractor used for mowing grass. The single double-edged blade used in the tractor is razor sharp, and it wears out over time. Replacing the blade will ensure a consistent grass height every time you mow your lawn. Contact your local Sears store and check if it carries replacement blades for the Craftsman LT1000. You can also resharpen the blade, but Sears does not recommend that you do so.
Open the battery box door under the seat pan. Disconnect the black cable with a wrench, followed by the red cable. Remove the battery from the tractor. Adjust the mower height to its highest setting. Make sure there is an adequate amount of space between the mower and the ground before going under the mower. If you need more space, use a car jack to raise the mower higher.
Put on the heavy work gloves and slide under the mower. Unscrew the hexagonal bolt holding the blade, using a wrench. Remove the lock washer and the flat washer. Remove the blade from the mandrel assembly, being careful when doing so.
Clean any dirt, grass or other debris from the mandrel assembly with a moist rag. In particular, clean the bolt that attaches the blade.
Attach the replacement blade to the mandrel assembly. Fasten the flat washer, the lock washer and the hex bolt, in that order, to the mandrel assembly. Tighten the bolt to between 30 and 35 ft.-lbs. of torque, using a torque wrench.
Lower the mower to its regular height. Replace the battery in the battery compartment under the seat. Reconnect the red battery cable, followed by the black cable.
Things You Will Need
- Moist rag
- Heavy work gloves
- Torque wrench
- Jack stand (optional)
- Be very careful when handling the blade, as it is razor sharp.
- Change an MTD Lawn Mower Blade
- Change a Blade on a Yard Machine Mower
- Clean a Lawn Mower Engine
- Remove a Stuck Lawn Mower Blade
- Which Spark Plug Should Be Used in a Kohler 15 HP Lawn Mower Engine?
- Change the Oil on a Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Model 556
- Change the Blade on a Yard Machine Lawn Tractor
- Change Blades on a Finish Mower
- How Much Grass Seed Per Square Foot?
- Change My 22 In. Craftsman Lawn Mower Blade
- What is the Shelf Life of Grass Seed?
- Replace Toro Lawn Mower Wheels