When a Briggs & Stratton engine doesn't start easily or if the engine dies as though it is running out of gas, the problem may be traced to the Intek carburetor having become gummed with dirt and old gas. Carburetor cleaning spray can eliminate the problem; it is made of a B-12 Chemtool solvent that loosens debris and rust or dilutes gummy gas in the carburetor, allowing the gas to be properly injected into the engine.
Run your hand along the hose clamped to the base of the gas tank to find the clamp securing the other end to the carburetor. The clamp is spring loaded. To remove it, use pliers to squeeze the two protruding tines together. With the pliers squeezed, slide the clamp down the hose several inches.
Unscrew the gas cap. Pull the hose off the carburetor and push it into the gas tank. By doing this, any gas that drains out of the hose or tank will flow back into the tank.
Spray carburetor cleaner into the side nozzle of the carburetor for 15-20 seconds. This will inject sufficient carburetor cleaner solvent to dissolve any debris in the carburetor's interior.
Push the hose back onto the side of the carburetor.
Squeeze the clamp tines with the pliers and slide the clamp back to the end of the hose, securing it onto the carburetor nozzle.
Place the gas cap back on the tank and tighten.
Unscrew the single bolt holding the fuel bowl on the base of the carburetor with the pliers by squeezing it with the pliers and rotating counterclockwise. The bolt is located in the center on the bottom of the carburetor.
Pull the fuel bowl off and spray carburetor cleaner into the bowl and on the float above the bowl.
Tighten the fuel bowl back onto the base of the carburetor.
Things You Will Need
- Carburetor cleaner spray
- Troubleshoot a Briggs & Stratton Quantum 6.5 HP
- Replace the Fuel Filter on a Craftsman Gasoline Blower
- Change the Transmission Fluid in a Sears Lawn Tractor
- Chainsaw Throttle Cable Installation
- What Is in Tiki Torch Fluid?
- Troubleshoot a Lawnmower Engine That Starts & Stops
- Kohler 18 HP Magnum Twin Specs
- Clean a Gas Tank on a Lawn Mower
- Repair a Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower
- Spray Diesel to Kill Grass
- Troubleshooting Idling Problems in Push Lawn Mowers
- Adjust a Riding Lawn Mower Carburetor