Moss can grow on a variety of surfaces, including asphalt roof shingles and driveways, in between concrete stepping stones and other areas where there is a fair amount of shade. Getting rid of moss from these surfaces is an easy task with the right equipment. If you do not feel comfortable about working on your roof, call a professional to take care of the moss problem.
Fill your garden sprayer with 80 percent water and 20 percent bleach. Spray the mossy area on the asphalt surface thoroughly with the water and bleach solution. Make sure you spray the moss during a dry week to allow the moss to absorb the solution fully.
Wait three to four days before removing the dead moss from the asphalt surface. The moss should be a golden brown color when dead. Respray any moss that was not killed after the first application of the bleach solution. Use a shop broom or pressure washer to remove the old moss from the surface.
Pull up stubborn moss with your hands. Use a pair of gardening gloves to gain a better grip on the moss and to avoid getting your hands dirty.
Things You Will Need
- Garden sprayer
- Shop broom or pressure washer
- Gardening gloves
- Face mask
- Apply the bleach solution to an inconspicuous test area first to determine whether the bleach will discolor the asphalt.
- Bleach has less of an impact on the environment, according to GreenFootSteps.com, as it breaks down into salts and water.
- Pulling moss manually or using a power washer are the "greenest" alternatives to chemicals.
- Exercise great caution when removing moss from rooftops.
- Always wear protective gear when handling bleach.
- Avoid using excessive amounts of herbicides, as these chemicals can contaminate ground water.
- Grow Moss in a Terrarium
- Propagate Irish Moss
- Kill Moss With Bleach
- Grow Moss on a Stone
- What Is "Moss Rock"?
- Remove Moss on Lawn Furniture
- How Do I Kill Moss in My Flower Bed?
- Collect Cedar Moss to Sell to Flower Shops
- Remove Moss From Paving Stones
- Kill Moss
- Stop Moss From Growing in My Lawn
- Home Remedy to Kill Moss