Pool liners are one of the most important components of both in-ground and above-ground pool systems. The liner is a thin, waterproof layer that prevents the pool water from leaking into the surrounding soil. There are two basic types of pool liners: beaded and overlap. Although it is rare, the top edge of the pool liner can sometimes pop out of the track and detach from the pool. The liner must be reinserted into the track so as not to cause more severe problems.
Shut off the filtration system and pump to the pool.
Find the sewer drain port of the pool, which is located near the main line and has a plastic cap with a square on top. Open the port by placing a wrench around the square part and turning it counterclockwise.
Connect a drain hose from a submersible pump to the sewer port and place the submersible pump into the pool.
Turn on the submersible pump and drain 2 to 3 feet of water out of the pool so that it will be easier to stretch the pool liner back into the track. Turn the pump off when the water level has lowered.
Plug in a heat gun and hold it 12 to 18 inches away from the area of the liner that has popped out of the track. Hold the gun in place for approximately five seconds. Turn the heat gun off and set it aside.
Grasp the top edge of the pool liner that is loose and slowly stretch it backward until you can insert the top of the liner back into the track on the upper edge of the pool. You may need to apply additional heat to accomplish this.
Things You Will Need
- Drain hose
- Submersible pump
- Heat gun
- If there is a large gap between the liner and the pool wall, you will need to drain the entire pool before reattaching the liner.
- Be careful when using the heat gun, because it poses an electrocution risk if dropped into the pool.
- Do not aim the heat gun at the pool liner for more than five seconds at a time, because it will burn a hole in it.
- Replace a Trimmer Head
- Get a Lawn Mower Tire on Bead
- Build a Swimming Pool Fence
- Change String on a Bolens Trimmer
- Remove the Impeller on a Hayward Pool Pump
- Remove Rivets From Concrete
- How do I Build a Pool Slide With a Drainage Tube?
- Adjust a Riding Lawn Mower Carburetor
- Winterize a Lawn Sprinkler Pump
- Adjust the Drive Belt on a Craftsman Lawn Tractor
- Lubricate a Deck on a Cub Cadet
- How Does a Pool Waterfall Work?