Cement is a durable material, but it's not uncommon for it to crack or chip. Cracks in cement walls can lead to holes if they're not fixed in a timely matter. Holes in cement walls are not only unattractive, they can lead to larger structural problems if not fixed properly and quickly. Fortunately, you can patch a hole in a cement wall yourself without professional help.
Chip away any cracked edges of the hole before patching it. Use a small sledgehammer and cold chisel to break away the cement along the cracked edges.
Clean out the hole using a wire brush. It is important to remove any loose cement or other debris from the hole so that the patch will adhere properly.
Prepare a batch of cement-patching compound in a small bucket. Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Use a putty knife to scoop out a generous amount of the patching compound onto a small board or straight-edge taping knife. Hold the taping knife or board with the patching compound at the base of the hole.
Force the patching compound into the hole using a putty knife. Fill the hole completely with the patching compound until the compound is overflowing from the hole a bit.
Smooth out the patch using a pointing trowel. Use the edge of the trowel to go back and forth over the hole to smooth out the patching compound. If the hole is really large, use a large trowel to smooth out the patch.
Allow the patching compound to dry and cure according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Things You Will Need
- Small sledgehammer
- Cold chisel
- Wire brush
- Cement-patching compound
- Small bucket
- Putty knife
- Taping knife or board
- Pointing trowel
- Repair Large Cracks in Concrete
- Repair a Brownstone Stoop
- Seal the Joints Between the Basement Wall and Floor
- Resurface a Concrete Sidewalk
- Fix a Sinkhole in the Driveway
- Repair a Cracked Cement Driveway
- Install a Vent Hood Through Concrete Walls
- How Does a Concrete Wedge Anchor Work?
- Mount a Vinyl Fence to Concrete
- Repair the Joints on Concrete Front Steps
- Drill Holes in a Concrete Backer Board
- Fix Cracks in a Wall From a House Settling