Fiberglass swimming pool slides are very popular because of their strength and durability. Fiberglass is also lightweight, which makes the slides easy to install and move around. Over time, the gel coat paint that is covering the slide will become faded and even discolored. This is a common problem that can be fixed by refinishing the slide with gel coat. Gel coat is a fiberglass resin that is pigmented with color. All the supplies needed to refinish a slide can be found at your local marine supply store.
Put on a respirator and sand the surface of the slide using 200 grit sandpaper and a palm sander. Scuff the entire surface of the slide getting in every crevice. The fresh gel coat will not bond to old, unscuffed gel coat.
Clean the dust off of the slide using a sponge and dish soap in water. Thoroughly clean the slide and then dry it off using a towel.
Tape any metal that is connected to the fiberglass slide with painter's tape. This will protect the metal from getting over spray on it.
Mix the fiberglass gel coat with the hardener, following the manufacturer's directions on the containers. Use a small bucket and a stir stick to thoroughly mix the gel coat and hardener.
Apply the gel coat using a felt roller and a paintbrush for any hard-to-reach or tight areas. Start from the bottom of the slide and work your way to the top. Let the first coat harden and immediately apply a second, lighter coat. Let the gel coat harden for 24 hours before getting it wet.
Things You Will Need
- Palm sander
- 200 grit sandpaper
- Dish soap and water
- Painters tape
- Marine fiberglass gel coat
- Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide (hardener)
- Small bucket
- Stir stick
- Felt roller
- Always wear a respirator when working with fiberglass materials.
- Harvest & Store Green Beans
- Stain Concrete Countertops
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- Repair a Pool Liner With Tape
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Care for Cast Iron Planters
- Remove Hearth Concrete Stains
- Trim Roses
- Seal Old Concrete Floors
- Resurface Concrete Carports
- How Do I Change the Belt on a Husqvarna Riding Tractor?
- Seal Concrete Planters