Mowing your lawn can be a constant job once summer rolls around. A smart thing to do before the mowing season starts is to tune up your lawn mower. Tuning up your push lawn mower is a great idea to prevent breakdowns while mowing. You can easily tune your lawn mower with a few supplies in your own garage.
Tuning Up a Lawn Mower
Flip your lawn mower up on its side. Use a flathead screwdriver to scrape any excess grass or dirt from the bottom of your mower.
Unscrew the single bolt that holds the mower blade in place. Take the blade to your local mower or home store and purchase this type and size of blade. Install the new blade under your mower.
Unscrew the oil drain plug bolt under your mower. Capture the old oil in a pan. Let all the oil drain out. Screw the plug back in tightly.
Unscrew the gas cap on top of the mower's engine. Pour the old gas into the old oil pan. Screw the cap back on.
Lay the mower flat again. Unscrew the engine's oil cap. Refill the mower with new oil to the proper level.
Fill the gas tank with new gas.
Unscrew the single screw that holds the air filter cover on the side of the mower engine. Take out the old air filter. Purchase this exact same style of air filter from your local mower or home store. Place the new air filter where the old one was. Screw the air filter cover back on.
Pull off the spark plug cap. Unscrew the spark plug from the front of the mower engine with the proper sized socket wrench. Purchase a new spark plug with the same model number as the old one from your local mower or home store. Screw the new spark plug in tightly and replace the spark plug cap.
Things You Will Need
- Flathead and Phillips Screwdriver
- Wrench and Socket Set
- Lawn Mower Blade
- Air Filter
- Spark Plug
- Protective Eyewear
- Wear protective eyewear and gloves.
- Replace the Blade on a Toro Recycler 6.5 Lawn Mower
- Get Old Lawn Mowers Started
- Replace a Briggs & Stratton Crankcase Gasket
- Tune Small 4 Cycle Gasoline Engines
- Repair a Muffler on a Lawn Mower
- Install a Needle Valve for a Lawnmower
- Change the Oil on a Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Model 556
- Replace a Craftsman Lawn Mower Primer Bulb
- Clean the Bottom of a Lawnmower
- Replace a Starter on a Sears Lawn Tractor
- Change Oil in a Simplicity Coronet Mower
- Replace Lawn Mower Wheels