How to Get Rid of a Beehive. Anyone who has been stung by a bee can attest that it is not a fun experience. If you have the misfortune of having a bee colony decide to build a hive on one of your window sills or on a branch on the tree in your back yard, here are some steps you can take to destroy the bee hive. Remember, however, that for safety reasons it is always recommended that a professional do the job.
Get all of your gear ready.
Pick a suitable time to do the deed. The best time of day to destroy a bee hive is in the late afternoon when most of the bees are back in the hive. This way when you apply insecticide, you will kill most of the bees.
Put on protective clothing, covering all exposed body parts.
Use the bee smoker to calm the bees and makevthem lethargic. This will lessen your chances of getting stung.
Apply the insecticide through the opening of the hive. Make sure you apply enough insecticide per the directions on the container. Plug the opening.
Remove the hive carefully and place it in a large garbage bag when you are fairly certain that the bees inside are dead. Secure the bag and dispose accordingly.
Contact a pest control company to destroy the bees and hive if it appears to be a task that is too large for you to handle or if you are uncomfortable performing the task.
Things You Will Need
- Bee keeper's veil
- Leather gloves
- Large sack
- Bee smoker
- Insecticide and applicator
- Ladder, if necessary
- Established colonies are best killed in late winter or early spring when their population is smallest.
- Make sure children and other individuals stay in the home with all doors and windows closed when you are destroying the bee hive.
- Contact a local beekeeper to help you with your problem. Often, he can make use of the bees and the hive without having to kill them.
- Repel Bees With Fabric Softener
- Prune Boxelder
- What Kills Bees and Wasps?
- Pick a Beehive Location
- Fruit Trees & Bees
- Kill Bore Bees
- Prune Pin Oak
- When Is a Good Time to Weed Spray Your Lawn?
- Cross Breed an Apple
- The Best Time to Prune a Lilac Tree
- Use Tempo Insecticide
- The Average Size of the Venus Fly Trap