The MTD Shift On The Go lawn tractor transmission, also called Transmatic, is a simple design that combines a single-speed transaxle with forward and reverse gears and a variable-speed belt drive. Although the speed control has six or seven positions, depending on tractor model, these positions are actually nothing more than shifter detents. The foot brake/clutch pedal is connected to the same belt-drive control, so the speed control is similar to a "cruise control" on a car.
Sit on the tractor and disengage the PTO. Place the shifter in Neutral, the speed control in Park, and push the clutch/brake all the way down.
Pull out the choke knob and advance the throttle control. Turn the key and start the tractor. Push the choke control in.
Move the shifter to the "Forward" position. Move the speed control to the "1" or "2" position. Release the clutch/brake gradually. Once you are moving, advance the speed control to a speed you are comfortable with.
Push the clutch/brake pedal to slow down for obstacles. You can hold the pedal in any position that gives you the desired speed, with no danger of damaging anything. Release the pedal to resume speed.
Push the clutch/brake pedal all the way down to stop. Shift from "Forward" to "Reverse" while holding the pedal down, then release the pedal to back up.
Push the clutch/brake pedal all the way down, shift to "Neutral," and place the speed control in "Park" to park the tractor.
Things You Will Need
- Owner's manual
- If you engage the PTO, you will have to disengage it before backing up.
- Always watch where you are going, and do not operate the tractor when children are nearby.
- Adjust the Speed of a Lawn Mower
- Adjust the Brakes on a Lawn Tractor
- Adjust the Drive Cable on a Craftsman Lawn Mower
- My LT 1024 Cub Cadet Will Not Move Forward or in Reverse, But Everything Else Works
- Turn on the Front Headlights of a Husqvarna Lawn Mower
- Use a Forklift
- How To Start a John Deere Riding Mower
- Replace a Craftsman Edger Blade
- John Deere TRS-21 Snow Blower Instructions
- Adjust the Idle in a Honda OHV Lawn Mower
- Start Echo Chainsaws
- Repair the Starter on a Toro Snow Blower