The pull cord on a Craftsman weed trimmer operates the starter mechanism so the operator can get the combustion process started. The pull cord allows the operator to turn the flywheel by hand until it spins fast enough and the engine takes over the process. This cord can get pulled off from excessive tugging when the engine won’t start or it may get ripped or frayed, forcing the operator to replace the cord before he can start trimming again.
Move the ignition switch on the Craftsman into the “Off” position. Unscrew the starter assembly cover and remove it from the trimmer using the screwdriver. Flip the starter cover over to replace the pull cord.
Cut the old cord off the pulley and the starter handle. Throw the old cord away. Push the new cord through the middle of the pulley, the hole in the starter cover and the center of the starter handle.
Tie a knot above the starter handle and at the base of the pulley. Wind the cord around the pulley until 10 inches remain unwound. Form a loop into the unwound portion.
Pinch the loop at the bottom and wiggle it back and forth until the recoil spring hooks onto the pulley. Hold the starter cover and wind the loop and pulley four to six revolutions to tension the recoil spring. Press and hold the pulley with your thumb.
Let go of the loop and unwind the cord. Lift your thumb off the pulley slowly to let the cord rewind onto the pulley. Add additional revolutions if the handle isn’t tight against the starter cover. Fit the starter cover back onto the engine and tighten it into place.
Things You Will Need
- Safety glasses
- The recoil spring can fly out at any time, so always wear safety glasses.
- Replace the Pawl on a Husqvarna Chainsaw
- Replace the Pull Cord on a Craftsman Weedwacker Model 358.791580
- Repair a Stihl 031Av Pull String Chainsaw
- Restring a FeatherLite Weedeater
- Install the Recoil Spring on a Poulan Chain Saw
- Fix the Drive Cable on a Troy Bilt 860
- Change the Trigger on a Ryobi Trimmer
- Install a Needle & Seat in a Tecumseh Carburetor
- Replace a Craftsman Lawnmower Pull Cord
- How Do I Adjust The Drive Belt Tension on a Dixon Mower Model 3362?
- Fix the Idler Spring on a Zero-Turn Mower
- Change the Magneto on a Briggs & Stratton