Turn a dull concrete block basement wall into a natural looking stone wall with a faux-painting treatment. The appearance of a stone wall can add beauty to your basement and transform it into a rustic retreat. Creating a faux-stone wall takes time, patience and attention to detail, but the end result will be worth the added effort. Each detail you add to the wall will add to the realism of the final appearance of the wall. Use the grout lines of the concrete block to your advantage and integrate them into your overall design.
Spread a 1/4-inch layer of drywall compound on the concrete block wall with a trowel. Apply the compound in a rough texture to simulate the appearance of stone. Drag the trowel across the surface. Leave the grout lines between the blocks uncovered so that they can appear to be the grouted lines between the stones. Allow the joint compound to dry 24 hours.
Pour interior latex wall paint into a roller tray. Roll a textured roller in the tray to coat it with paint.
Roll a coat of interior latex paint on the wall with the textured roller. Allow the paint to dry 24 hours.
Apply the paint glaze to the wall everywhere except the grout lines with a sponge. Dab the sponge on the wall to add texture to the surface.
Dab cheesecloth over the glazed areas of the wall lightly to soften the appearance of the glaze. Continue with this process until you are satisfied with the overall appearance of the wall.
Paint the grout lines with paint glaze using a small artist brush to complete the wall.
Things You Will Need
- Drywall compound
- Interior latex wall paint, dark gray/brown stone color
- Roller tray
- Textured paint roller
- Paint glaze, warmer gray/brown stone color
- Small artist paintbrush
- Use two or three different color paint glazes to achieve a more varied appearance.
- Apply paint in a well-ventilated room.
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- What is the Fastest Growing Fruit Tree?
- Finish Walls & Ceilings in an Unheated Garage
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Redo a Countertop With Epoxy and Flakes
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- What to Do When Poured Concrete Walls Look Awful
- Improve Traction on an Asphalt Driveway
- Remove Semi-Transparent Concrete Stains
- Clean a Concrete Walkway