How to Dispose of Weed Killer. Improper disposal of weed killers can allow chemicals to leak into storm drains, roadside ditches and from there, into lakes and rivers. They can enter our drinking water through the ground water and can cause potentially dangerous chemical reactions and illnesses to humans and animals. Disposing of weed killers properly is crucial, but not difficult.
Read the weed killer's label and follow its disposal directions carefully. Watch for words such as "Warning," "Danger" or "Caution." Call the phone number listed on the label if you have more questions about use or disposal of a particular weed killer.
Take leftover weed killer to a local household waste disposal facility. This is the best solution for large quantities of weed killer. There is often no charge for this service.
Store extra weed killer until your waste management company has a hazardous waste pick up day. Call to find out when a waste collection day is scheduled for your community.
Use absorbent material, such as cat litter or cloth towels, to clean up a weed killer spill. Place all contaminated material in a spill-proof container and dispose of it as you would excess weed killer.
Throw empty weed killer containers in the trash. Do not put them in a recycle bin.
- Think carefully before buying weed killer. Reduce waste and save money by purchasing only as much as you need. This will help lessen the amount of unneeded and unused weed killer.
- Look for natural weed killers whenever possible.
- Until you can dispose of it properly, store unused weed killer in its original container in a location inaccessible to children and pets.
- Never pour weed killer into the sink, toilet or any indoor or outdoor drain.
- Never pour leftover weed killer on the ground.
- Never bury empty weed killer containers.
- Never burn empty weed killer containers.
- Trim Roses
- Ant Control
- How Much Sun Do Knockout Roses Need?
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- Clean Pet Stains on Concrete
- How Far Apart Should Apple Trees Be Planted?
- Using Sand in Gardening
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- The Best Grass Seed in Southern California
- Clean Urine Stains on Concrete
- Do Geraniums Need Full Sun All Day?