Plan the perfect garden with our interactive tool →

How to Kill Fungus on Plants

plants image by Dave from Fotolia.com

Whether in or out of doors, fungus can endanger the life and vitality of your plants. Plant fungus develops rapidly and can be caused by a number of culprits, from mold to mushroom spores, and will characteristically eat away the leaves of your plants, causing brown spots and drying. Fortunately, fungus can be eliminated from your plants through application of a fungicide solution, available at any home and garden center nationwide. Killing fungus on your plants is a simple process that does not require specialized skills.

Place plants to be treated in an outdoor location close to a water supply (such as a garden hose).

Gently spray the affected area of each plant with your garden hose.

Turn each plant on its side for fifteen minutes in order to drain excess water from the spraying of the garden hose.

  • Whether in or out of doors, fungus can endanger the life and vitality of your plants.
  • Plant fungus develops rapidly and can be caused by a number of culprits, from mold to mushroom spores, and will characteristically eat away the leaves of your plants, causing brown spots and drying.

Fill an empty, clean bottle with spray nozzle attachment with 1 cup room temperature water.

Add 1/4 cup fungicide (available at any home and garden center) to the spray bottle and shake well.

From a distance of six inches, spray the fungicide solution directly onto the affected areas of each plant.

Leave to dry--do not rinse off. If you are treating indoor plants, it is important to leave them outside for a period of 48 hours to air the treated plants.

Spot-check your plants twice weekly to ensure plants are healthy. If necessary, repeat treatment 14 days after first application.

  • Fill an empty, clean bottle with spray nozzle attachment with 1 cup room temperature water.
  • From a distance of six inches, spray the fungicide solution directly onto the affected areas of each plant.

Tip

Always wear gloves when handling fungicide. Wash hands immediately after use. Store in a dark, cool area away from children or pets.

Warning

Many home gardeners choose to grow edible fungus (such as certain types of mushrooms), but many fungi are also highly toxic. It is important to identify certain types of edible fungi and avoid unidentifiable ones that may cause harm. For more information on edible fungi, please see References below.

Garden Guides
×