With proper installation, a brick patio should remain attractive and weed-free for years. This assumes that sufficient layers of gravel, sand and landscape fabric exist beneath your brick patio. If your brick patio does not possess these layers beneath it and weeds are marring the beauty of your bricks, do not despair. You have several options for getting rid of weeds and restoring your patio.
Place 2 quarts of water into the stockpot and boil. Add 2 cups of table salt to the water and stir to dissolve the salt. Remove the stockpot from the heat. Carefully pour the hot salt water directly over weeds growing between cracks of the brick patio. Use caution to avoid desired plants as you pour the salt water; however, because it will kill any kind of plant.
Cut back the weeds to just above the crowns with the pruning shears and discard the weed foliage in the garbage. Fill the stockpot with plain water and boil it. Instead of adding salt, pour plain boiling water over the weeds growing through the cracks in the patio. Wait two to three days and you should notice the weeds begin to die.
Pour the pickling vinegar directly onto the weeds growing between the bricks. Choose a sunny day without rain in the forecast. Saturate the weeds thoroughly. Within 24 hours, you should see the weeds begin to die.
Pull the dead weeds from between the cracks with your hands to remove them. Dispose of the dead weeds in the garbage.
Repeat any of these weed-killing techniques as often as necessary to control weed growth on your brick patio.
Things You Will Need
- Table salt
- Pruning shears
- Pickling vinegar (10 percent acidity)
- Wear plastic gloves and eye goggles to protect yourself from the pickling vinegar as you apply it.
- Keep all of these weeding products away from plants you do not desire to kill. If you are pouring the weed killers near desired plants, shield these plants with a tarp to keep them safe.
- Kill Grass & Weeds on Crushed Rock Driveway
- Eliminate Weeds from a Sweet Corn Patch
- Bleach As a Weed Killer
- Kill Weeds in the Walkway
- Lay Landscape Bricks for a Border
- Mix Glyphosate
- Flower Bed Weed Prevention with a Plastic Liner
- Natural Ways to Kill Grass & Weeds
- The Best Way to Get Rid of Moss Between Patio Bricks
- Prevent Algae Growth on a Brick Patio
- Clorox As a Weed Killer
- Remove Weeds and Grass in Cracks and Crevices