x
 
 
Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map!

Plants That Make Dogs Sick

By Cayden Conor ; Updated September 21, 2017
A dog that does not feel well.
dog image by Michal Tudek from Fotolia.com

There are several foods and plants that make dogs sick. In addition to the well-known nightshade plants (tomatoes, peppers) and foods such as chocolate, onion, raisins and grapes, several plants should be kept out of reach of your dogs. If your dog ingests a poison, contact your vet immediately. Before taking the dog to the vet, you may be advised to give the dog hydrogen peroxide to make it vomit. Another treatment for certain poisons is activated charcoal.

Sago Palms

Even one seed of the sago palm might make your dog sick.
grove of sago palms image by Joann Cooper from Fotolia.com

The entire sago palm (Cycas revoluta) is poisonous to dogs, but the seeds are the most poisonous part of the plant. Depending on the size of the dog, even one seed could cause depression, diarrhea, vomiting and liver failure.

Tulips

Keep your dog away from tulip bulbs.
red and yellow tulips image by Jorge Moro from Fotolia.com

If tulip bulbs are ingested, your dog might suffer gastrointestinal irritation. You might notice a loss of appetite, convulsions, cardiac problems, drooling and central nervous system depression.

Rhododendron

Rhododendron are poisonous because of the grayantoxins.
a rhododendron image by alri from Fotolia.com

Most plants in the rhododendron family, including azaleas, are poisonous to dogs because of the grayantoxins contained in the plants. If your dog ingests grayantoxins, it might produce drooling, diarrhea, vomiting and central nervous system weakness or depression. If the dog ingests enough of the poison, it could go into a coma or die from cardiovascular collapse.

Castor Bean

Castor bean plants are poisonous to dogs.
runner bean plant 4 image by chrisharvey from Fotolia.com

The castor bean produces "Ricinus communis is ricin", a protein that is highly toxic. Signs that your dog might have ingested this plant include excessive thirst, drooling, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite and weakness. In severe cases, the dog might exhibit dehydration, seizures, coma or death.

Peace Lily

Peace lilies produce calcium oxalate crystals.
peace lily image by Horticulture from Fotolia.com

The peace lily (Spathiphyllum) produces calcium oxalate crystals. The crystals might cause drooling, vomiting, oral irritation and intense burning of the mouth, including the lips and tongue.

 

About the Author

 

Cayden Conor has been writing since 1996. She has been published on several websites and in the winter 1996 issue of "QECE." Conor specializes in home and garden, dogs, legal, automotive and business subjects, with years of hands-on experience in these areas. She has an Associate of Science (paralegal) from Manchester Community College and studied computer science, criminology and education at University of Tampa.