Whether you grow winterberry holly for its beauty in your landscape or you enjoy bringing the holly and berry stems indoors for decorating displays, these shrubs perform reliably and energetically in most growing areas. A winterberry holly shrub left to grow unrestrained may reach heights and widths of up to 9 feet after many years of growing. Prune winterberry shrubs lightly in late winter or early spring to shape them, keeping in mind that pruning will reduce future berries.
Inspect the winterberry holly shrub for broken or rubbing branches while the shrub is still dormant. Look for branches that appear damaged or diseased and trim these branches off at the point where they intersect with the next largest branch. Using the same technique, remove any branches that cross others and rub.
Remove branches along the sides and bottom of the winterberry holly shrub to shape the shrub as you desire. Many gardeners choose a rounded shape for their winterberry shrubs. Trim away only as much of the branches as is necessary to achieve the shape you desire (to avoid reducing future berries).
Trim winterberry holly shrubs on top to control the height of the shrubs, if you desire. Remember not to remove any more length than necessary from the stems because this may reduce the number of berries the shrubs produce during the upcoming growing season.
Discard the branches and stems you trim away.
Things You Will Need
- Pruning shears
- Some gardeners choose not to prune a winterberry holly shrub at all to avoid cutting away future berries.
- If you wish to trim branches to use indoors for decor, trim the branches at any point. Realize that you may reduce future berries when you do this, however.
- Troubleshoot White Powder on Shrubs
- Prune the Ninebark Diablo Shrub
- Prune a Bittersweet Vine
- Trim a Red Tip Photinia
- Grow Elderberry Bushes
- Prune Burford Holly Shrubs
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Pacific Northwest Evergreen Shrubs
- Care for an Alleghany Viburnum
- Prune Berberis Darwinii
- Care for Elderberry Bushes
- Grow Holly Bushes