Since hovering over your plant, shooing gnats away, simply isn’t feasible, you may wonder how to get rid of them and keep them out. While gnats won't immediately destroy your plants, they aren’t good over time if they continue to reproduce in your plant's soil. While many chemicals will kill gnats, they aren’t always safe to use around the home, especially if you have children and pets. There are several more natural options available.
Pour white vinegar into a dish and mix in some dish soap; measurements are inconsequential. Place the dish on the soil near the plant. The gnats will be attracted to the vinegar, and the dish soap will make it hard for them to get out. This is an effective way to kill many gnats quickly. Change out the solution as often as needed as it fills with gnats.
Allow your plant's soil to dry out between watering. The larvae in the soil will die off without the moisture.
Place rotting fruit on windowsills to attract the gnats away from the plant. Dispose of it in a tightly sealed plastic bag when many gnats have accumulated on it. Be sure to get it out of the house quickly.
Fill a container with vinegar and cover it with a lid with holes poked in it so the gnats can get in. They'll become trapped in the container and drown.
Mix water and dish soap in a spray bottle. You only need a couple of teaspoons of soap, just enough to make it sudsy. Spray gnats hovering around your plant's soil to kill them without harming your plant.
Things You Will Need
- White vinegar
- Dish soap
- Rotting fruit
- Dish soap
- Spray bottle
- Jar with lid
- If you choose to use a chemical-based product such as Gnatrol to help eliminate the gnats, read and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.
- Bring Outdoor Plants Inside to Protect From Bugs
- Eliminate Flies From Indoor Jasmine Plants
- Get Rid of House Plant Flies
- Home Remedies for House Plants With Gnats
- Natural Repellents for Gnats & Fruit Flies
- Seal a Birdbath
- Use of Joy Detergent on Plants
- Kill Roaches in My Potted Plants
- Kill Fruit Flies Quickly and Naturally
- Clean Concrete Countertops
- Get Rid of Tiny Black Bugs on My Plants
- Build a Gnat Trap