Create a floral bouquet on a cake by decorating it with real flowers. Elegant and eye-catching, putting real flowers on a cake does not require the dexterity of creating and laying icing flowers. Take edible varieties of flowers from your garden and bring them into your kitchen for cake toppers. These not only add a colorful touch to your cake, but also a rare flavor for those who wish to sample the flowers with their cake. As with anything grown in your garden, only use flowers not treated with pesticides or herbicides.
Pull the stamen from the flowers and wash the flowers thoroughly.
Remove petals from flowers and scatter them over the entire cake and at the boundary between the cake and the serving platter for the simplest type of floral cake topping. Skip this step if you wish to use the entire bloom.
Snip the stem just below the blossom at an angle.
Cut 3-inch lengths of drinking straw, one segment per flower.
Bend the bottom ½ inch of the straw up and tape to create a miniature vase.
Fill the drinking straw ¾ full with water and place the stem into the straw.
Insert the closed end of the straw straight up into the top of the cake, pushing all the way down until only the flower remains at the surface of the cake.
Arrange the flower petals on the blooms as needed by moving the petals with tweezers or gently lifting them with toothpicks. Serve the cake as soon as possible so your flowers still look bright.
Things You Will Need
- Edible flowers (pansies, violets, rose petals)
- Drinking straws
- Iced cake
- Leave the flowers in water and chilled as long as possible before decorating the cake to keep them looking their freshest.
- Only use flowers safe for human consumption.
- Keep Fresh Flowers in the Refrigerator
- Plant Flowers Outside
- Preserve Flowers With Borax
- Freeze Flowers
- Dry a Gerbera Daisy
- Make Pressed-Flower Bookmarks
- Preserve Flowers With Wax Paper
- Dry Flowers in a Microwave
- Preserve Real Flowers & Keep Their Color
- Use Fresh Dillweed Flowers
- Store Edible Flowers
- Preserve Dried Flowers