Houseplants provide a home for mold very easily, especially if you keep the plants damp and in poorly ventilated areas of your home. Mold on houseplants is not only unhealthy for the plant, spores may trigger allergies in the house’s human occupants as well. Mold looks fuzzy or powdery. It can be almost any color, but is often white or gray. The mold may be on the plant only, the soil only, or on both. You can take several measures to safely get rid of plant fungus and, in many cases, prevent its return.
Put on a dust mask and rubber gloves to protect yourself from mold spores. You may also choose to treat the plant outdoors, so cleanup is easier.
Dampen a cloth or paper towels in warm water. Wipe this over moldy parts of the plant, if possible, including all stems and leaves. Remove as much mold as you can from the plant this way.
Remove moldy potting soil, at least the visibly moldy soil, and discard it with your household garbage. Don‘t throw it outdoors where it could infect other plants. If the houseplant is outgrowing its pot anyway, you may consider repotting it completely with new potting soil.
Place the plants in a new area of your home--mold thrives in shady areas where there is little air circulation. Choose a place where plants will have more air circulation (and for this reason, don’t place them close together). Gardenknowhow.com suggests placing plants in sunnier areas. Do this if your houseplant can tolerate sunlight. In addition, if rooms are stuffy, use fans.
Use a plant anti-fungal spray if necessary. You’ll find suitable sprays at garden centers. These may be especially helpful if you have many plants infected or it is not practical to manually remove mold from all the leaves and stems.