One way to protect your garden from deer is to plant vegetables that deer do not eat. Unfortunately, what a deer is willing to eat varies according to the availability of food sources, number of deer and weather conditions, according to Washington State University. While the deer are less likely to eat the vegetables listed below, it is impossible to say they will never eat them.
Deer seem to have mixed feelings about fruit vegetables. Deer tend to stay away from cucumbers (Cucumis sativus) and eggplant (Solanum melongena). Deer will usually stay away from okra (Abelmoschus esculentus), squash (Cucurbita pepo) and tomatoes (Lycopersicon esculentum), but not always. They also have mixed feelings about peppers. They almost always avoid sweet peppers (Capsicum frutescens) and hot peppers (Capsicum annuum), but only occasionally avoid green peppers (Capsicum annuum).
Perhaps because of their strong smell, deer tend to avoid bulb vegetables. They especially do not like chives (Allium schoenoprasum), garlic (Allium sativum and Allium scordoprasum) and onions (Allium cepa).
Herbs are a category of plants that deer do not seem to enjoy. Herbs that they almost always avoid include lavender, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme. They also dislike mint such as spearmint and peppermint.
Root and Tuber Vegetables
Deer seem to enjoy most root and tuber vegetables. However, they almost always avoid radishes (Raphanus sativus) and will usually avoid potatoes (Solanum species), especially Irish potatoes (Solanum tuberosum).
Other vegetables that deer tend to avoid include asparagus (Asparagus officinalis), rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum), cantaloupe (Cucumis melo cantalupensis) and watermelon (Citrulus lanatus).
- Flowers That Rabbits Don't Eat
- Types of Flowers Deer Eat
- Plant Bulbs in Massachusetts
- How To Keep Deer Out of a Vegetable Garden
- How We Classify Vegetables and Fruits
- Flowers That Rabbits Do Not Eat in the Garden
- Plants & Shrubs That Are Unappealing to Voles
- Tell the Difference Between a Fruit & a Vegetable
- Use Marigolds in the Garden to Repel Deer
- Recommended Plants to Prevent Japanese Beetles
- What Flowers to Plant Around a Garden to Deter Animals?
- What is the Fastest Growing Fruit Tree?