Empire, a brand of zoysia grass, provides a dark-green, durable and low-maintenance grass that grows in many different soil types. A warm-season grass, Empire zoysia tolerates some cold weather but prefers climates where the winters are warm. Empire zoysia flourishes in hot and humid conditions, and resists drought, some insects and diseases. Empire zoysia’s vigorous growth and deep root system make it difficult for many weeds to grow in the lawn. Care for Empire zoysia grass with regular watering and fertilization.
Water Empire zoysia grass deeply once every week when you don’t receive at least ½ inch of rainfall. Empire zoysia requires about ¾ inch of water per week.
Mow Empire zoysia grass once every 7 to 10 days. Maintain a grass height between ¾ of an inch and 2 inches high.
Feed Empire zoysia lawn a slow-release 16-4-8 NPK (Nitrogen-Phosphorous-Potassium) lawn fertilizer once each year in the spring. Fertilize the grass after all danger of frost has passed, using a rate of 3 pounds of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn.
Control pests by applying an appropriate insecticide according to the label directions. To prevent grubs, apply a preventive grub-control spray to the lawn in late May.
Eliminate weeds in May or June by spraying Empire zoysia grass with an appropriate post-emergent herbicide. Select a weed killer designed for the specific weeds growing in your lawn and follow the application instructions on the label.
Things You Will Need
- Garden hose
- Lawn mower
- Slow-release 16-4-8 NPK fertilizer
- Insecticide (optional)
- Post-emergent herbicide (optional)
- Select a lawn fertilizer with iron to keep Empire zoysia grass a nice dark-green color.
- Never cut more than one-third of the grass's length at one time. To keep your Empire zoysia grass at 2 inches, cut the grass when it reaches at least 3 inches in height.
- Types of Coastal Lawn Grass
- Care for Bermuda Sod in Georgia
- Care for New Fescue Sod
- Maintain Healthy Bermuda Grass
- Zeon Zoysia Grass Care
- Take Care of Zoysia Grass
- The Best Grass Seed for Southern Lawns
- Do I Water a Lawn After Applying Grub Control?
- At What Temperature Does Zoysia Grass Turn Brown?
- Palmetto Grass Problems
- Where Can I Buy Sod for My Lawn?
- Types of Grass in Fresno