Water features such as fountains and water walls help create an ambience of serenity in your home’s interior, as well as in outdoor spaces. Build a fountain out of flower pots to create a soothing and simple water feature for the patio or the garden. Terra cotta or colorful ceramic flower pots are ideal choices for fountains; they are strong enough to withstand the elements, but decorative enough to be the center of attention.
Spray-paint the wooden feet to coordinate with the colors in the flower pots. Let the paint dry. Glue the feet to the base of the 16-inch-diameter flower pot with waterproof construction adhesive. Let the glue dry. The feet will elevate the flower pot, making it possible to thread the electrical cord from the fountain pump unobtrusively out through the base of the fountain.
Place the submersible fountain pump inside the 16-inch flower pot. Run the electrical cord through the drainage opening in the planter. Seal the opening around the cord using silicone sealant.
Place the two half bricks inside the 16-inch flower pot, on either side of the drainage opening. Place the bricks as close together as possible.
Cut a strip of plastic tubing to fit from the fountain pump to the rim of the 10-inch-diameter flower pot. Attach the tubing to the pump’s spout. Thread the other end through the drainage opening in the 10-inch flower pot. Situate the flower pot on top of the half bricks. Seal the tubing around the opening with silicone sealant. Allow the sealant to dry.
Add decorative stones to the 10-inch flower pot to brace the plastic tubing in the center of the pot. The top of the plastic tubing should be just below the rim of the flower pot.
Camouflage the fountain pump and the bricks in the 16-inch flower pot with decorative stones. Fill both flower pots with water before turning on the fountain pump.
Things You Will Need
- 4 decorative wooden feet
- Spray paint
- 16-inch-diameter round ceramic flower pot
- Waterproof construction adhesive
- Submersible water fountain
- Silicone sealant
- 2 half bricks
- 1 10-inch-diameter round ceramic flower pot
- Plastic tubing
- Decorative glass stones
- Make a Fountain Out of a Watering Can
- Make a Clay Flower Pot
- Preserve Dried Flowers With Clear Resin
- Measure the Slope for a Paver Patio
- Make Lightweight Concrete Garden Pots
- Make Plaster of Paris Flower Pots
- Gazebo Landscaping Ideas
- Ideas for Raised Flower Beds
- Make a Hole in a Concrete Floor for a Sump Pump
- Make a Concrete Basket Planter
- Prevent Wood Posts From Rotting in Concrete
- Build Planters With Landscape Timbers