Moss grows and thrives in shady and damp areas and can be difficult to remove once it shows up on your brick, stone or concrete pavers. It's easy to mix up a solution that can kill moss, algae, mold and other unsightly plant growth that pops up in your yard. In certain climates and locations, though, you may have to repeat the process periodically to keep your outdoor space looking nice.
Mix a solution of bleach and water by adding 1 to 2 parts bleach for every 10 parts water. The amount of solution you will need depends on the area the moss is covering. Pour the solution into a spray bottle.
Sweep or scrub the moss with a scrub brush or broom. Moss does not have a strong root system, so you may be able to remove much of it simply by scrubbing.
Spray the bleach solution on the remaining moss so that the moss is saturated, then let it soak for several minutes. The bleach solution will help loosen the moss and also discourage it from growing back.
Scrub or brush the pavers again to remove any remaining moss. Be thorough and get into all the cracks and crevices to make sure it is all removed. This will help prevent future growth.
Rinse the pavers with water to wash away the bleach solution.
Things You Will Need
- Safety goggles
- Scrub brush or broom
- Bowl or other container
- Spray bottle
- Test the bleach solution in a small, inconspicuous area to ensure that it will not stain or discolor your pavers.
- Moss will continue to grow and thrive in shady and damp locations. If you can prune back trees or shrubs to allow more sunlight to hit your pavers, this will help discourage moss from growing.
- If you have a large area covered in moss, such as an entire driveway or patio, it may be more effective to use a pressure washer to remove the moss.
- Bleach can kill plant life other than moss. If your moss is growing in an area where you have plants you want to keep, try using vinegar in place of the bleach.
- It's always best to wear safety goggles while working with bleach.
- Treat Lawn Moss With Lime
- Kill Moss on Patios
- Kill Moss on Asphalt
- Kill Moss on a Lawn Naturally
- Home Remedy for Killing Moss in Lawns
- Care for Irish Moss
- Get Rid of Moss Between Paver Stones
- Grow Moss Between a Flagstone
- Kill Moss on Sidewalk
- Remove Lichen
- Stop Moss From Growing in My Lawn
- How Far Apart Should Apple Trees Be Planted?