Dandelions are great for a variety of home-health remedies, but sometimes you need a home remedy for the dandelions themselves. If they are invading your yard, then you will need to act quickly before your yard--and your neighbor's--are overrun with these bright flowers. While selective pesticides are an option, most gardeners prefer to avoid them since they can harm the environment and other plants in the area. Fortunately, with a little care and effort, you will be able to kill and control dandelions with home remedies.
Pour the white vinegar into the spray bottle. Make sure that the bottle is set to "stream," not "spray," since vinegar can also hurt your grass.
Spot-shoot the individual dandelions with the vinegar. It will burn the vegetation and kill the dandelion. You will need to repeat this every day for about two weeks to make sure that you have eradicated your dandelion problem.
Apply corn gluten to your yard. This will prevent the germination of dandelion seeds in the soil. However, it will not kill dandelions that have already sprouted, which is why you need the spot treatment.
Mow your grass higher. If you have weed problems, your grass will better be able to defend itself if it is 3 to 3 1/2 inches high.
Things You Will Need
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Corn gluten meal
- Stubborn dandelions may need to be dug out of the ground by the roots.
- When Is a Good Time to Weed Spray Your Lawn?
- Natural Ways to Kill Weeds in Your Lawn
- Control Fleas and Ticks in Your Yard
- Weeds in South Florida Grass
- Herbicides for Crabgrass
- Allergies of the Daisy Family
- Herbicides for Grass
- Get Rid of Clover Grass on the Lawn
- Will Triclopyr 4 Kill San Augustine Grass?
- What Causes Crabgrass?
- Home Remedies for Killing Dandelion Weeds
- Kill Crabgrass During the Summer