Dandelions are great for a variety of home-health remedies, but sometimes you need a home remedy for the dandelions themselves. If they are invading your yard, then you will need to act quickly before your yard--and your neighbor's--are overrun with these bright flowers. While selective pesticides are an option, most gardeners prefer to avoid them since they can harm the environment and other plants in the area. Fortunately, with a little care and effort, you will be able to kill and control dandelions with home remedies.
Pour the white vinegar into the spray bottle. Make sure that the bottle is set to "stream," not "spray," since vinegar can also hurt your grass.
Spot-shoot the individual dandelions with the vinegar. It will burn the vegetation and kill the dandelion. You will need to repeat this every day for about two weeks to make sure that you have eradicated your dandelion problem.
Apply corn gluten to your yard. This will prevent the germination of dandelion seeds in the soil. However, it will not kill dandelions that have already sprouted, which is why you need the spot treatment.
Mow your grass higher. If you have weed problems, your grass will better be able to defend itself if it is 3 to 3 1/2 inches high.
Things You Will Need
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Corn gluten meal
- Stubborn dandelions may need to be dug out of the ground by the roots.
- When Is a Good Time to Weed Spray Your Lawn?
- Homemade All Natural Dandelion Weed Killer
- How Much Grass Seed Per Square Foot?
- Where Can You Find Milky Spore for Grub and Beetle Control?
- Kill Crabgrass Without Killing Lawn
- Control Poa Annua
- Homemade Weed Killer That is Safe for Grass
- Use Peppermint to Get Rid of Fleas
- Kill Foxtail Grass
- Remove All of a Dandelion Tap Root
- Get Rid of Briar Patches
- Home Remedies for Killing Dandelion Weeds